Leave a comment
The UniFi Network Application is your interface into the networking side of the UniFi world, So it's always exciting when a new version comes out of beta and 7.5 is packed with improvements and updates.
Update Sept 16 2023 - Version 7.5.176 Has been released, will this be the one?
Update : UniFi OS 3.1.16 Has been released containing 7.4, improving backups and stability and a nice set of bugfix's to the core system, This also allows client latency testing.
For the full details you can read Ubiquiti's latest release article here: UniFi Network Application 7.5.174
Previous Release Candidate : 7.5.172 has been updated following some minor bugs being found.
What is a release candidate?
Think of it as sort of a last minute holding pen.. The place where while a release is likely ready for the world, it's playing it safe just in case there is an issue. After a while it will go to everyone or a new version that will fix's some last minute discovered problems will come along.
Should you run it?
Only you can answer that - The advice I give is to ask your self why do you want to? remember it's at the gate but hasn't actually gone through it so there is still a small chance of issues… so for production systems you would want to be cautions, but if you have test or systems you can explore with go for it :)
That said if you need one of the new features or a certain bug fix, then it may be worth it in your situation.
My take on this release
I can't really say that this release has added a new feature that makes me go “Oh WOW”, but i don't care. There are so many Quality-Of-Life fix's and improvements in this version that it honestly blows my mind. It's hard to see this as anything other than a great update bringing much needed polish and refinement.
There are three headline improvements
- Additional IPSec Configuration options - Big thumbs up - More options, More = Better, and Better 3rd party connectivity.
- The real time traffic flow, could be handy feature, I think it's let down by dark mode being too dark for some display panels.
- The latency test is a really nice little diagnostic tool considering as it's from the gateway to the client and it's easy to see how this could be expanded on.
They are great - for me though, I prefer being able to open side panels while staying on the same page, Fluidity makes such a difference.
What would I like to see next?
Everyone wants to see something right?
- Dark mode visibility improvements (invisible text cursor, brighter topology line colors - etc )
- Firewall rules improvements, specifically to go back to where you where when creating/editing and entry, or just use a dialog.
- Ability to act as a Wireguard client or a wireguard site to site.
What would you like to see?