There are many reasons why you might want to add storage to your network, from storing files, local backup of your PC's and data, hosting network drives for virtual servers.
There are many reasons why you might want a storage solution, and there are many ways to go about solving that need.
- Add shared storage for files to your network, Do you want to support file versions? different client types - do you move between PC's and Macs?
- To provide redundancy in case a Hard Drive should fail
- As a backup target for your computers
- You want to store and play media by using for example Plex, Run Virtual Machines, and Email Server,
- You want to be able to access your information remotely from anywhere, and have your own private cloud
- You need the powerful features you get with a SAN solution, networked drives for computers or virtual machines, snapshots, point in time restores, backups or disk cloning.