There are many reasons why you might want a storage solution, and there are many ways to go about solving that need.
- Add shared storage for files to your network, Do you want to support file versions? different client types - do you move between PC's and Macs?
- To provide redundancy in case a Hard Drive should fail
- As a backup target for your computers
- You want to store and play media by using for example Plex, Run Virtual Machines, and Email Server,
- You want to be able to access your information remotely from anywhere, and have your own private cloud
- You need the powerful features you get with a SAN solution, networked drives for computers or virtual machines, snapshots, point in time restores, backups or disk cloning.